GOALS FOR PROGRAM:
- To enhance the student’s knowledge of the operation of the professional association.
- To encourage student’s active participation in the state association, as well as in the district association.
- To provide dietetics students with the opportunity to enhance their management skills in the areas of strategic planning, effective meeting management, delegation, and public policy.
- To develop a mentoring relationship with a Board member.
- To assist the Board member in necessary functions of his/her office.
- To encourage the students to network with Kentucky dietitians.
- To assist the student in gaining valuable experience outside the classroom, as well as the possibility of receiving a recommendation letter from the assigned mentor after completion of the program.
QUALIFICATIONS FOR THE PROGRAM:
The dietetics student and/or intern must be:
- Currently enrolled in an approved/accredited Didactic Program in Dietetics, Coordinated Program in Dietetics, Dietetic Internship, Graduate Program in a Nutrition-Related Field, or a Dietetic Technician Program.
- Must at least be at the Junior or Senior undergraduate level or the second year in the DTR program. May apply during Sophomore year.
- A member of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics.
- Willing to commit to the mentoring program from June 1st to May 31st (one year).
- A resident in the geographic location of a Board member.
- Willing to provide own transportation to local meetings.
Expectations of the student are as follows:
- Attendance at the following meetings is expected:
- Orientation meeting with assigned mentor
- Board Change-Over Meeting
- 2 of 4 of the following meetings:
- September Board Meeting
- November Board Meeting
- February Board Meeting
- Annual Meeting
- Legislative Day (if applicable)
- Each student will be responsible for developing and implementing a project that will be determined by both the mentor and the student.
- Assist with local health fairs or dietetic district events such as National Nutrition Month.
- Some additional responsibilities may include preparing hand-outs and/or some administrative assistant-type tasks.